Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We use public mobilization and storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, and philanthropies engaged in this fight, and we create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, and political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy and powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, and ultimately drives targeted action and creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Summer Intern at Purpose, you will gain hands-on experience developing and executing movements, working with an incredibly diverse team of thinkers whose common goal is nothing less than to change the world. You will work within one of the departments at Purpose (Strategy, Campaigning, Data Analytics/ Tech, Project Management, or People, Culture, & Operations) to learn about creative campaigning and how Purpose uses these tools to build movements. You will also participate in various projects to help develop Purpose as a company overall. You will have a Development Manager whose role is to guide you throughout the summer and ensure that your time is spent making an impact for Purpose and our partner organizations with the goal of creating participatory campaigns to tackle the world's toughest social problems.
Your internship will run from mid-June through most of August and can be flexible as necessary according to school calendars. Interns will be based out of our NYC office. All interns receive a monthly stipend.
In this role you will:
* Serve as a supporting member to a project team or group
* Conduct various forms of research - e.g., background, target, landscape analysis
* Participate in identifying opportunities for internal growth and contribute to internal Purpose-wide initiatives as they arise
* Provide fresh insight on the following:
* Creating behavioral change
* Community-building and organizing
* Converting online activity to offline action
* Potentially assist internal teams with client, funder, and partner proposals
We think you will be a successful candidate if you:
* Are currently enrolled as a student in good standing at an academic institution with plans to return to school for the upcoming school year
* Have research experience and the ability to become well-versed in topics which you have no previous knowledge and to provide valuable insights based on your findings
* Have experience in one or more of the following: political or issue-based campaigning, brand or innovation strategy, social media strategy, social innovation, or social entrepreneurialism
* Have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with poise and good humor
* Bring a strong work ethic, along with stellar communication skills (verbal, written and listening), a positive attitude, enthusiasm, professionalism, ambition, curiosity and rigor in all that you do!
Please include any relevant examples of graphic design or branding work, or a link to your creative portfolio.
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please apply with your resume and cover-letter through the jobs page on our website,
Application closes Thursday, April 18th, 2019. Applicants will be notified about the result of their application no later than mid-May.
For our summer interns, we want to learn a bit more about you personally! Your cover letter, in addition to detailing your relevant experience, should answer these key questions about you (your cover letter should be no longer than 2 pages max):
* What about Purpose's work resonates with your own studies or future aspirations?
* As a Purpose intern, what could you bring to the team that would set you aside from anyone else, including passions and skills outside of your educational focus?
* Purpose is dedicated to creating an open, just, and habitable society, both internally for folks at Purpose, and in the world. Share an experience or story about how you have demonstrated a dedication to creating a more equitable community or world more broadly.