The Men's Designer will design and develop the casual bottoms product categories with the guidance Senior Designer for the Perry Ellis Brand.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Actively participates in the conceptual development of product lines (i.e., sells ideas/concepts and convinces others to adopt a course of action).
* Responsible for entire product design process to include market research, inspiration boards, designing, sketching, creating a design card, and working with all departments to ensure all information is communicated internally and externally to overseas factory.
* Ensures product is consistent with market trends as well as business strategy
* Must be aware and knowledgeable of competitor brands and anticipate new design trends
* Ability to update and reinvent next best seller product Understand price point
* Ability to structure and design high perceived value product with price point in mind.
* Detail oriented to ensure quality of design and fit Partners with Merchandising and Sourcing to ensure designs meet pricing and margin requirements.
* Partners with Merchandising and Sourcing to find solutions to issues that may arise during production
* Researches trends and ideas. Writes reports to support the findings Keeps up with news, blogs and fashion magazines on a daily basis.
* Researches current and develops future trends for color, silhouette, fabric and trim.
* Attends design meetings and presents ideas and designs with guidance of manager Creates presentation boards and design selling tools Designs new silhouettes along with clear detail sketches and interior sketches.
* Draws silhouettes and illustrations in Illustrator and Photoshop.
* Responsible for communicating design details through accurate detailed flat sketches
* Creates fabric, pattern, and body CADs: updating and modifying throughout the season.
* Pitches colorways for fabric developments to be sent out for hand looms, strike offs, and lab dips. Assigns descriptive names, pattern numbers, color names and color codes to all fabrics. Attends all fittings and participates in fit comments
* Updates sketches, and makes design comments for any style changes post fittings. Communicates changes via email.
* Attends all WIP (work in progress) meetings with a good knowledge of what is happening with the products
* Works with Technical Designers and Product Coordinator/ Developer to ensure PLM packages are accurate and complete.
* Ensures all design assets are accurate and passed to Product Coordinator/Developer on time for PLM creation.
* Ensures Bill Of Material / Trim sheets and summary sketches are accurate and updated as needed in PLM
* Works closely with Product Coordinator/Developer to send out fabric developments, strike offs and lab dips. Responsible for lab-dip, knit-down, strike off, and handloom approvals and comments.
* Works directly with manager, Technical Design, Merchandising, Product Coordinator/Developer, and Sourcing on a daily basis. Manage and Improve processes in all aspect as needed
* Actively participates in the conceptual development of product lines -have the ability to take conceptual ideas into sellable commercial product
* Makes all design comments pp and bulk trims. Manage the team to make sure that all things are being executed properly and with accuracy on calendar
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
* Must be proficient in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
* Proficient with email, word processing, and spreadsheet systems: Google docs a plus.
* Strong experience in CAD software systems: Nedgraphics a plus.
* Must have strong knowledge of dress/ tailored fabrics in the absence of a Fabric team
* Must have strong knowledge construction and internal components of garments and details
* Experience in tech pack data management systems: i.e.. webPDM, PLM, etc Strong research, design, and conceptual skills.
* Ability to design around concepts for multiple consumer markets. Strong sense of style and color.
* Strong sense of trends and ability to utilize research to predict trends a year or more ahead of time.
* Thorough knowledge of silhouettes, fabrication, colorways, sewing techniques, graphics and trim.
* Strong organizational, time management, communication and presentation skills.
* Ability to think three-dimensional and to visualize swatch to body.
* Knowledge and good understanding of merchandising as it relates to sales and store environment.
* Problem solving, resourceful People management and interpersonal skills
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS :
* Bachelor's degree in Fashion Design
* 3-5 years in menswear design (casual bottoms)
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.