The Men's Designer will design and develop the Dress Bottoms Tailored Clothing product categories with the guidance Senior Designer for the Perry Ellis Brand.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Actively participates in the conceptual development of product lines (i.e., sells ideas/concepts and convinces others to adopt a course of action)
* Responsible for entire product design process to include market research, inspiration boards, designing, sketching, creating a design card, and working with all departments to ensure all info are communicated internally and overseas factory.
* Ensures that product is consistent with market trends as well as business strategy
* Know the competition, walk the floor and anticipate new design/ideas
* Ability to update best sellers and to reinvent next best seller product
* Understand price point Ability to structure and design high perceived value product with price point in mind.
* Detail oriented to ensure quality of design and fit Make sound judgment and make decisions using objective and subjective date.
* Partners with Merchandising and Sourcing to ensure designs meet pricing and margin requirements.
* Partners with Merchandising and Sourcing to find solutions to issues that may arise during production
* Researches trends and ideas. Writes reports to support the findings Keeps up with news, blogs and fashion magazines on a daily basis. Researches current and develops future trends for color, silhouette, fabric and trim.
* Attends design meetings and presents ideas and designs with guidance of manager. Creates presentation boards and any design selling tools
* Designs new silhouettes along with clear detail sketches and interior sketches. Draws silhouettes and illustrations in Illustrator and Photoshop.
* Responsible for communicating design details through accurate detailed flat sketches
* Creates fabric, pattern, and body CADs: updating and modifying throughout the season. Pitches colorways for fabric developments to be sent out for hand looms, strike offs, and lab dips.
* Assigns descriptive names, pattern numbers, color names and color codes to all fabrics.
* Attends all fittings and actively participates.
* Updates sketches, and makes design comments for any style changes post fittings
* Works with Technical Designers and Product Coordinator/ Developer to ensure PLM packages are accurate and complete
* Ensures all design assets are accurate and passed to Product Coordinator/Developer on time for PLM creation
* Ensures Bill Of Material / Trim sheets and summary sketches are accurate and updated as needed in PLM
* Work closely with Product Coordinator/Developer to send out fabric developments, strike offs and lab dips.
* Responsible for lab-dip, knit-down, strike off, and handloom approvals and comments. Works directly with manager, Technical Design, Merchandising, Product Coordinator/Developer, and Sourcing on a daily basis.
* Actively participate in the conceptual development of product lines -have the ability to take conceptual ideas into sellable commercial product
* Makes all design comments pp and bulk trims. Manage the team to make sure that all things are being executed properly and with accuracy on calendar
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
* Must have proficiency in men's dress/ tailored fabrics
* Must be proficient in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
* Proficient with email, word processing, and spreadsheet systems: Google docs a plus.
* Strong experience in CAD software systems: Nedgraphics a plus.
* Must have strong knowledge construction and internal components of garments and details
* Experience in tech pack data management systems: i.e.. webPDM, PLM, etc
* Strong research, design, and conceptual skills. Ability to design around concepts for multiple consumer markets.
* Strong sense of style and color and trends.
* Thorough knowledge of silhouettes, fabrication, colorways, sewing techniques, graphics and trim.
* Strong organizational, time management, communication and presentation skills.
* Ability to think three-dimensional and to visualize from swatch to body.
* Knowledge and good understanding of merchandising as it relates to sales and store environment.
* Problem solving, resourceful
* People management and interpersonal skills
* Bachelor's degree in Fashion Design
* 3-5 years in menswear design (dress bottoms and tailored clothing)
Associated topics: design, designer, esthetic, esthetician, fashion, fashion design, stylist