Process Research and Development (PRD) develops processes and prepares active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) to enable clinical trials, toxicology studies and drug product development for AbbVie's pre-clinical and clinical drug pipeline. Researchers in AbbVie's R&D work in multi-functional teams to develop scalable processes and supply API for safety testing, clinical trials and formulation development.
To achieve this goal, Process R&D researchers use a variety of automation techniques to expedite process development which include:
- High throughput experimentation for screening and process parameter mapping
- Medium throughput experimentation and automated laboratory reactors to expedite process optimization and enhance process understanding
- Custom automation to maximize opportunities for greater experimental efficiency and to enable development of continuous and flow processes.
The successful candidate will play a key role in furthering the automation capabilities within Process R&D. Key responsibilities include:
*Level will be based on education and years of experienceEligibility requirements:
- Develop and maintain instrument drivers for pumps, chillers, stirrer motors, Process Analytical Technologies (PAT) and related laboratory process equipment
- Integrate laboratory equipment, PAT, and data analytics to establish custom automated API process development platforms with attention to understanding business and user requirements
- Design laboratory scale automated systems and lead the implementation of continuous flow processing platforms
- Implement coherent data management systems across laboratories
- Develop a network and establish working relations with in-house automation groups, equipment vendors, and third party hardware/software development companies
- Define best practices, training, and develop support systems to maintain automated process development platforms
- Actively seek opportunities, collaborate, and demonstrate impact from automated process development platforms on pipeline projects
Key Leadership Competencies:
- PhD in Chemistry/Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical or Computer Engineering with relevant experience in automation required. Industrial experience is preferred.
- Experience with automation, engineering design and technical expertise in the areas of integration, robotics, equipment communications protocols, software and electro-mechanical solutions.
- Demonstrated ability in programming and debugging automated systems using languages such as LabVIEW, Python, C, C#, or similar. Familiarity with Linux OS on embedded systems a plus.
- Practical capability to setup and operate laboratory process equipment.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the \"essence\" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability to work within a team environment.
Associated topics: biomedical, biopharma, dietary, dietetic, drug, drug discovery, pharmaceutical, physiology, toxicologist, transfection